Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I huff and I puff, and then I get hydration

On Sunday I decided to run a fever of 100.2. I took 2 Tylenol and a nap. When I woke up it was 101.6.  I felt like crap.  My husband called the number on our paperwork from the surgery center. We were told to "take off my socks" and call back if that doesnt help.  Are you kidding? Have you seen my feet. No thanks!  I put on cooler clothes and the fever went away. I continued to have chills off and on that night and the next morning. 
On Monday I wanted out of my home prison cell.  I dragged my husband and my sister in law to look at wigs.  We went to the American Cancer Society and didnt find anything. It was a great experience though and Jennifer was really nice!  She ordered some things in for me and said I could come back to try them on when they came in. We left there and went to Honie's.  This was recommended to me by a patient that had a really good experience there. She went looking for fun wigs and had success.  It was an interesting experience, I will say that. The asian family that was working was wonderful.  I tried on a ton of fun wigs and ended up getting 2.  They are probably not the wigs I will wear the most but they will definitely get some use.  I was exhausted after that.
I had a lot of nausea that night and this morning and overall just feel terrible. If these drains would just come out I could sleep and quit taking the pain meds. I was texting back and forth to my friend Stephanie telling her how I was having nausea and felt bad. She is covering for me at work and relayed this info to my Dr. I then got the message I was dreading-He wants to see you. Blah. Bitch, Im tired, nauseas, and panting like a dog in heat! I am NOT dragging my pasty white butt up there.  And then the voice of my nurse self said "Dont be that annoying, noncompliant patient." So I put my shoes on and off we went (right after I decided to lose my lunch). As a worker at the Cancer Center of Kansas I walk from the parking garage to the office daily. I even take the stairs. It is a short, easy walk and I have never understood what my patients complain about.  Until today.  It felt like I ran a marathon just getting to the building, and I even had to rest.  Apparently I looked as bad as I felt which prompted lots of blood work, an exam, and then hydration and nausea medication. I wont say I felt a lot better after, but I did feel a little better.  And now I know how hard it is to come in when I ask my patients every day to do the same thing. 
Who needs a Michael Jackson RIP hat? Honie's has them.
Wow...can we say 80's rock band? It was still fun to try all of the wigs on even if I didnt find the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment