Monday, February 25, 2013

Tamoxifen...we need to break up.

This weekend was terrible and fantastic all at the same time. I got to go to a KU game (I havent been to one since highschool) and I quit taking Tamoxifen. We were given 4 tickets to a game from Dr. Truong. I am his nurse, and now his patient and this was a much needed break from reality.  We decided to take Gary's cousin and her husband because we love spending time with them and thought that they would really enjoy it. Nicole is pregnant and has the wonderful nausea related to her pregnancy. I am taking Tamoxifen and havent eaten a good meal in over a week. My weight is down about 10 lbs which I am kind of happy about but the misery that comes with that I could do without.  Besides the nausea I am having joint and muscle aches, hot flashes, and terrible anxiety (some of which may just be from the diagnosis but I doubt it.)  I feel so bad that I did not take the Tamoxifen yesterday or today and have no plans to restart it. The game was amazing but by the end of it I hurt so bad from sitting on the hard bleachers, not to mention the several hour drive home. Thats it. Tamoxifen, you mess with my Jayhawks, you mess with me.  We are done. I want to break up!!
I checked with Dr. Truong today and he said that I will have to take Tamoxifen for 5 years after my chemo. So I guess this is more of a "trial separation." I will try it again but I bet we break up for good. 
On a side note-one of the side effects that were listed as "call Dr. IMMEDIATELY if you have any of these..." was a decrease in sexual desire or ability.  You mean to tell me that if I have to pee in the middle of the night and all of a sudden dont want to have sex I should call my Dr??  No thank you.  I ran this by Dr. Truong to see the look on his face.  I said "Is this seriously an emergency? Are you kidding me?"  His response was "It may not be to you, but it may be to your husband." We got a good laugh out of it and then I came up with a compromise.  If I end up with this side effect, I will sprinkle this in my husband's food also so that he will have it too! Then there will be no emergencies!!  Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment